Tired of high air fare prices? Then a road trip may just be the answer. Gas prices have come down (some) and road trips can be fun solo or with friends/family and of course your pet.
Pictured is my Marley, part pug and part I have no idea, but she is my love and a wonderful travel companion.
Listed are some of the top US road trips that are dog-friendly and offer beautiful sights and experiences:
- Pacific Coast Highway (California): Travel along California’s scenic Highway 1, starting from San Francisco and winding down to San Diego. Enjoy stunning coastal views, charming towns, and numerous dog-friendly beaches along the way.
- Blue Ridge Parkway (Virginia/North Carolina): This picturesque drive stretches for 469 miles through the Blue Ridge Mountains. Take in breathtaking vistas, hike dog-friendly trails, and explore charming mountain towns such as Asheville, NC.
- Historic Route 66 (Chicago to Los Angeles): Drive along the iconic Route 66, a classic American road trip experience. Enjoy quirky roadside attractions, historic towns, and pet-friendly accommodations along the way. This is on my list!
- The Outer Banks (North Carolina): Explore the scenic barrier islands of North Carolina’s Outer Banks. Discover beautiful beaches, visit dog-friendly lighthouses, and indulge in fresh seafood while enjoying the coastal charm.
- Great River Road (Mississippi River): Follow the Mississippi River from Minnesota to Louisiana on this scenic drive. Enjoy river views, explore dog-friendly parks and trails, and immerse yourself in the rich history of the region.
- Coastal Maine: Drive along the picturesque coast of Maine, starting from Kittery and heading up to Bar Harbor. Explore charming seaside towns, visit dog-friendly beaches, and feast on delicious lobster rolls.
- Redwood Highway (California/Oregon): Journey through the ancient giants of the Redwood forests on this stunning drive. Your dog will love exploring dog-friendly trails and soaking in the tranquility of these majestic trees. We did something similar to this last year.
- The Florida Keys: Take a drive along the Overseas Highway, connecting the islands of the Florida Keys. Enjoy the crystal-clear waters, pet-friendly beaches, and the laid-back island atmosphere.
Remember to check specific rules and regulations regarding pets at national parks, beaches, and accommodations along your chosen route.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thank You.
Receive the Life Happens Monthly newsletter plus bonus updates. Join the email list today.