When engaging in online dating, it’s important to prioritize your safety and take certain precautions. Some are common sense suggestions and some may sound overly cautious but safety should be your priority when meeting a new person.
Dating at 50+ can be fun but it does not mean you should not be safe and take precautions before meeting your next date. I choose where we meet and I usually ask for a LinkedIn profile before meeting. Some men have objected or perhaps have even been a little offended when I ask for this; but if they are offended then thats on them and they probably were not a match for me anyway.
- Choose reputable platforms: Use well-known, reputable online dating sites that prioritize your safety and have proper security measures in place.
- Protect your personal information: Be cautious about sharing personal information such as your full name, address, workplace, or phone number until you’re comfortable with the person you’re communicating with. I use the platform’s messaging system.
- Create a dedicated email address and username for online dating to maintain a level of privacy.
- Trust your instincts: Pay attention to your gut feelings and instincts when interacting with potential matches.
- Video chat before meeting: This not only helps you recognize the person but also helps you find out in advance if there is any initial chemistry.
- Meet in a public place: When you’re ready to meet face-to-face, choose a public location for your first few dates. Even when I meet for a hike I make sure its a well populated hike and not a remote location.
- Arrange your own transportation: I never allow anyone to pick me up for a date. Not only do I not want them to have my home address I don’t trust getting into a car with a stranger.
- Stay sober and alert!
Trust your intuition, pick a public location and make sure its something you enjoy doing. Even if the date is not a match make the most of it, enjoy the conversation and have fun!
Whether you are new to dating, in a relationship but things just don’t feel right or you are making the same mistakes in finding love. The books listed below will help you understand your love sign and what to look for in a partner.
- Attached – Understanding your attachment style and what to look for in a partner to match you.
- The 5 Languages of Love, the Secret to Love that Lasts – For singles and couples!
- Finding Love after 50 – From online dating coach Cassie Zampa Keim
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thank You.
Receive the Life Happens Monthly newsletter plus bonus updates. Join the email list today.