Starting a new hobby after 50
Whether you are an empty nester or you are looking at retirement, are you thinking about picking up a new hobby? learning to play an instrument, learn a language or try a new sport? Or are you like me that during the pandemic and with extra time on your hands you have already started a new one.
During the pandemic I learned to play golf, albeit not very well, but still I finally picked up a sport that my friends and family have been playing for years. And I love it! I also started a second women in business networking group. I then thought about relearning a language I had studied in my youth-Russian (my mother was Russian) but I realized I did not have the time to commit to that too.
And now I am thinking about learning to play pickle ball. I swear I am the only one under 50 in my area that has not picked up this very popular sport!
Other popular hobbies for women over 50 (according to my Google search)
- Join a dance class- I have a friend who teaches tap and it looks like so much fun. Also very popular, ballroom dancing.
- Join a classic car club– of course it helps if you have a classic car:)) Or perhaps find a club you like and follow them.
- Interior design– interestingly enough this was on every list that I found on my Google search.
- Learn a language– this is still on my list!
- Pick up an instrument – this was also on every list, picking up an instrument is very popular for women over 50.
- Road tripping– I have done this with friends and I have traveled solo, both are so much fun.
- Sports– learn to play that sport you never had the time for. It’s golf for me but I will also add pickle ball and tennis.
- Wine expert – have a passion for wine? Why not learn about the varietals, regions and everything wine related. Then host a wine tasting party and share your knowledge.
Most popular US hobbies: baking/cooking, watching TV/movies, bookclubs/reading, gardening.
This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thank You.
Receive the Life Happens Monthly newsletter plus bonus updates. Join the email list today.