As we start a new year many of us set goals and make resolutions to live a healthier life. And so I ask what does healthy living look like to you? I like to think I have healthy habits but quite honestly I have less than healthy habits too. I believe moderation is the key to healthy living. I enjoy fruits and veggies but I also enjoy potato chips, meat, chocolate and wine. I especially love peanut butter, and not the healthy natural kind I like JIFF and goodness me put it on a Ritz cracker and I am in heaven-zero health factors. But, I consider it a treat not a daily food item.
I don’t eat unhealthy foods daily, its a treat. I don’t drink wine daily, it’s a treat. But I do exercise daily, I do learn something new daily-brain growth, I do socialize with friends-staying connected and relevant, I do reduce stress by meditating and/or breathing deeply daily.
In short to live a healthier life are you incorporating the following items in your day to day/weekly life?
- Engage in moderate-intensity aerobic activities such as brisk walking, swimming, or cycling. Anything outdoors works for me.
- Include strength training exercises to maintain muscle mass and bone density, absolutely.
- Consume a well-balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and low-fat dairy.
- Stay hydrated by drinking an adequate amount of water. I start with 8oz. every morning, before my coffee.
- Ensure sufficient intake of calcium and vitamin D for bone health. This can be through diet or supplements if needed.
- Practice stress-reducing activities such as meditation, yoga, or deep breathing exercises, when I remind myself to breathe deeply I sleep so much better. Try it! Like me you may be surprised at how much this simple exercise helps you sleep better.
- Engage in activities that stimulate the brain, such as puzzles, reading, or learning new skills. I love to read and always have but I have also added learning something new daily to stimulate my brain.
- Maintain social connections with friends and family for emotional well-being. I believe in this 100% and if you follow me you know that i not only have a great circle of friends but I have created a networking group for women in business-I believe in connections.
The real key to healthy living is laughter. Be sure to add laughter-follow a comedian, funny movies, podcasts, puppy videos, a child’s laughter, a belly laugh with an old friend, YouTube is your friend find a video and laugh out loud.
Please share with my steps that you take in living a healthy life, I am happy to share them in future posts. email@example.com